Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Study on Worship.


Everytime I hear Phil Wickham's song "Divine Romance", something in me is stirred.

For You I sing, I dance
Rejoice in this divine romance
Lift my heart and my hands
To show my love, to show my love


I love the instruments... acoustic guitar, bass, accordion, and brushes on the drums. And Phil Wickham's voice... it's like there's an angel singing in the room. But it touches something beyond.

So today I was listening to that song, as I do almost every day... and a thought came to me. How do people view worship? Is it an act or a lifestyle? Can it be both? Must it be both?

worship

(noun)
1. The activity of worshipping
2. A feeling of profound love and admiration

(verb)

1. Love unquestioningly and uncritically
2. Show religious devotion to, as of a deity
3. Attend religious services


It got me to thinking... why don't I just ask people? Maybe I would learn something about worship if I took a closer look at how people worship... what people worship... where people worship.

So that's my vision... and I'm asking you. Yes, you... the one reading this. Tell me what worship is to you... do you do it or do you live it? How do you worship? What do you worship (be honest)? Where can you worship? Is there a feeling associated with worship, or is it a state of being? What have you learned about worship? What has Scripture taught you? What have loved ones taught you? Is it a discipline?

I'm not sure what I will do with the responses I get. My brother owns his own video editing business (http://www.pinnacleproductions.us/)... so I thought about turning my research into a video to show at church. Of course, I would ask Phil Wickham's permission to use his song as the music. After all, that is what inspired this whole thing.

I like to call it a study on worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment